PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting through it? *trigger*

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12

S deleted
22-12-15, 05:01 AM
At least you aren't alone

April_is_beautiful
22-12-15, 05:34 AM
Talking to H this evening I have decided to give all my customers a calendar for the year of when I will be open and try and give myself a week off every 7 or 8 weeks. Looking back over the last few months it seems that I go about that time before I burn myself out.

This is sensible. I've totally burnt myself out being self-employed before. I thought I could manage but I couldn't. A wise man knows his limitations.

Paula
22-12-15, 09:01 AM
Yay!! She finally admits she's not superwoman! Seriously, love, I think having your own 'terms' with a break in between is a brilliant idea. You're awesome but not indestructible

Suzi
22-12-15, 09:54 AM
I think the term idea is fantastic. Why push it to 7 or 8 weeks? Why not give yourself grace and make it 6?

Pen
22-12-15, 10:11 AM
I think the term idea is fantastic. Why push it to 7 or 8 weeks? Why not give yourself grace and make it 6?

I would like to make it 6 but I need to be running classes during the school breaks and cant seem to make 6 week slots work round them, however I may have found a system whereby I take the first week off after the school break, although of course the Summer break is a pain.

Suzi
22-12-15, 10:16 AM
I was going to suggest staggering it, but you've already thought of that! The Summer break you could have in 2 halves maybe with a week off in the middle?

OldMike
22-12-15, 10:44 AM
Talking to H this evening I have decided to give all my customers a calendar for the year of when I will be open and try and give myself a week off every 7 or 8 weeks. Looking back over the last few months it seems that I go about that time before I burn myself out.

Hi Pen, I know you're a hard worker and don't want to let any of your customers down, but you do need to pace yourself and give yourself a break. Some time time away from the stress of work a time to recharge your batteries.

PS: Just looking at your art, I'm glad Larry has now got Laurence as fried (we all need friends :) )

The hearts look great, I thought they may be quite large but they're not if you can make them in to a necklace.

One thing I'm interested in is the Celtic knot, can't see a size though if they weren't too big I thought of getting 4 and putting them in diamond formation, I would like subtly different colours and form between them or maybe contrasting colours.

Just some of my thoughts, no pressure, you can take as long as you like to make them (months or even a year), because your courses must take priority.

Take care Mike

Pen
22-12-15, 11:26 AM
The hearts look great, I thought they may be quite large but they're not if you can make them in to a necklace.
They are quite large. The largest is 10cm across. You cant make them into a necklace but they make great wall hangings and if they were soaked in essential oils then they would scent a room I think.

One thing I'm interested in is the Celtic knot, can't see a size though if they weren't too big I thought of getting 4 and putting them in diamond formation, I would like subtly different colours and form between them or maybe contrasting colours.
The knot is 26cm from the top of the diamond to the bottom. I had not thought about making them as tiles but I could make them a standard size quite easily, what size would work best?

Pen
22-12-15, 11:27 AM
I was going to suggest staggering it, but you've already thought of that! The Summer break you could have in 2 halves maybe with a week off in the middle?

What!... and lose £500 income!!!! :s

OldMike
22-12-15, 11:41 AM
What!... and lose £500 income!!!! :s

I maybe getting things wrong here not knowing your personal circumstances or your backstory, so just kick me if I am (*puts on some shin pads*), health or money, I'd go for health any time.

OldMike
22-12-15, 11:50 AM
They are quite large. The largest is 10cm across. You cant make them into a necklace but they make great wall hangings and if they were soaked in essential oils then they would scent a room I think.

The knot is 26cm from the top of the diamond to the bottom. I had not thought about making them as tiles but I could make them a standard size quite easily, what size would work best?

Much bigger than I thought, was thinking the knot was 10cm so would not need as many so 2 or 3 on a diagonal at the top of the stairs would look good as 26cm is quite large, will need to think about it, thanks for the info Pen.

Pen
22-12-15, 06:22 PM
It was only messing around so that I had a project to get the kids to do next year, but I may well look at making something like this as proper six inch tiles

rose
22-12-15, 06:48 PM
What about a week off after each school holiday, plus a week off before the summer holidays? So, 7 weeks holiday a year?
I say a week 'off' but I doubt anyone will be able to stop you working on your personal projects during those times.
So just 7 weeks a year with no classes?

Pen
22-12-15, 07:14 PM
Yes something like that. I have the last week of June booked to go away and only three weeks later the summer holidays start so I was thinking that I would make that two weeks off together, one away and one at home. I think I have six weeks marked off excluding the run up to next Christmas.... I am not sure that it is a bit excessive though as it comes to 35 days holiday a year...

Mike, I take your point but the Summer season is a big one for me, if it goes like last year I hope to make nearly three months income in the six weeks which helps to pay for the weeks when I have to take a break, after all no work, no pay..

rose
22-12-15, 07:24 PM
It may be 35 days a year, but you are currently working a 6 day week... so it kind of evens out?

Suzi
22-12-15, 08:56 PM
Just wanted to say, the last yarn bowl you've put up I have fallen madly in love with it! It's completely beautiful!

Pen
22-12-15, 09:27 PM
Yes quite pleased with it. H suggested painting the inside of each hole, so I got her to do it! and it has worked well I think.

Just had another look at the photo and actually you cant really see that each hole is painted in green, I actually thinks it looks better in real life than the photo.

Pen
22-12-15, 10:56 PM
Spoken to my bro and told him that I cant deal with him and the tribe coming so I will take my Dad up to his place on Boxing day. Would rather not do that either but I guess I had better show willing. It will mean that I will need to go and buy a load more presents so I have something to give to the kids as they will expect us bearing gifts and I sent their parents money for their presents instead...
I have also finished wrapping all my presents so far but now I am feeling terrible. I have that sick feeling back and that lead weight again.

Paula
23-12-15, 09:25 AM
Well done for managing things with your brother and hugs (bear)

OldMike
23-12-15, 10:18 AM
Hi Pen I know this is easier said than done, just try and pace yourself and don't overdo things. (bear)

Suzi
23-12-15, 10:32 AM
(panda) (bear)

magie06
23-12-15, 05:57 PM
Just look at all you've achieved today. You are amazing and I think you do such a great job in your day to day life it nearly takes my breath away. Never say you are not making a difference, because you make a difference in my life every day.

rose
23-12-15, 06:20 PM
Spoken to my bro and told him that I cant deal with him and the tribe coming so I will take my Dad up to his place on Boxing day.
I think this is a very good decision Pen.

Pen
23-12-15, 07:25 PM
Been so very tired today. Managed to tidy the sitting room a bit but so dreading Friday.

rose
23-12-15, 07:59 PM
Why are you dreading it?

Suzi
23-12-15, 08:09 PM
What is it about Friday that you're dreading?

magie06
23-12-15, 10:14 PM
Why are you dreading friday?

Pen
23-12-15, 10:43 PM
Oh just having to be busy and happy when all I really want to do at the moment is sleep!

rose
23-12-15, 10:52 PM
The day will pass so quickly.... and loads of people sneak in a nap after lunch on Christmas Day! Will hubby be with you? And who else?

Paula
23-12-15, 10:52 PM
(panda)

Pen
24-12-15, 12:41 AM
The day will pass so quickly.... and loads of people sneak in a nap after lunch on Christmas Day! Will hubby be with you? And who else?

Oh most of the alphabet! M,J,U,H,A, Dad and his GF, P and hubby.

Paula
24-12-15, 09:07 AM

(giggle)

OldMike
24-12-15, 09:14 AM

Pen that's so funny (rofl) I'm glad you explained earlier what all those letters meant, otherwise I might have thought it was an algebraic expression.

Pen
24-12-15, 10:26 AM
Pen that's so funny (rofl) I'm glad you explained earlier what all those letters meant, otherwise I might have thought it was an algebraic expression.

OK my Christmas as an algebraic equation....
Pen
(H+A)+((J+U)(H+M))+(D+P)

and Boxing Day
Pen+Dad
9+(V+B)

Pen
25-12-15, 01:49 PM
Ooooo.. hubby bought me a Smart TV/DVD combo for the upstairs studio and J has bought me a solution for my internet in the studio so I can get decent internet out there. So I can surf the internet and watch TV whilst I am at my desk in my "den". I may never be seen again!!! (and A has let me use has Netflix account so I can watch all sorts of stuff.)
However now I am exhausted, I am hiding in the house with Ember.

Suzi
25-12-15, 10:45 PM
That's fab!

Pen
26-12-15, 12:11 AM
What a day. H had a breakdown in the kitchen as things did not goto schedule and we finally got lunch at 3:30, by which time my BIL was getting quite cheesed off. BTW, although I think he did get near to a razor this morning, he certainly did not get anything else washed... he stank! After he went this evening I had to Frebreeze the chair and cushions and I don't think I can really use the chair till I wash the covers! Part the reason I escaped into some space of my own when I posted before was I could not bear the smell anymore. I am not looking forward to him living nearer! He also has very little understanding of manners and when he arrived asked H if she knew anyone who wanted a good shag!
H would not let me help with the dinner until things got really fraught and she knocked the jug with the gravy granules over the floor so I took over the gravy. HOWEVER I mis read the packet and put 4 tablespoons in the jug rather than 4 teaspoons. So rather than the half pint of water it said to add I have to add about 2 pints to get it usable and even then it was a very thick gravy!!
After lunch I did manage to persuade BIL to settle in the house with hubby for company in front of the fire and watch the soaps on TV whilst the rest of us played games out in the studio (well the kids and Dad did I retreated upstairs in the studio to test out my new toy!!)
I have to say though the best part of the day was after hubby took everyone away and it was just H, A and me and we played a simple card game for a few hours whilst munching through the cheese board selection that Dad had left behind!

OldMike
26-12-15, 09:28 AM
aaawwwww sounded a bit of a disaster, about the gravy did you serve it in slices (think) , at least it ended on a good note with you, H & A playing cards and munching on pieces of cheese.

Paula
26-12-15, 10:10 AM
Niiiiice thing to ask your niece, or anyone lol ........

Suzi
26-12-15, 10:25 AM
Highly appropriate to ask your niece?!
If the only thing that went wrong with the dinner was the gravy then I think that should count as a success! Hope today is easier for you x

Pen
26-12-15, 04:48 PM
Only managed to escape to the studio at 4 oclock. I am here all alone, no sign of hubby. Planned to do some drawing but had a good slug of Apricot Brandy and now not sure I can hold a pen. (rofl)

rose
26-12-15, 05:12 PM
Where is hubby, did he take his brother back?
Does hubby know that his brother isn't washing? Maybe when they move it could be high up the list to get him under a hot shower a couple of times a week!
Never mind about the gravy, some people like it thick ;) It sounds like it went ok overall and being able to get internet out in the studio will be really useful.

Pen
26-12-15, 07:05 PM
He took his brother back last night and has not returned. It is a bit of a standing joke that he will have gone to buy my birthday present today (my birthday is tomorrow) but I had expected him here by now.
Oh hubby knows that M does not wash. I dont think M has had a bath for 9 years. Last time I visited their house (a couple of years ago) I had to dust the handbasin before I could wash my hands after using the loo and the shower did not look like it had been used since their mother died in 2006.
Ember has had a special dinner tonight, I cooked up some old mince that was in the freezer and mixed it with some of the gravy and some dog biscuits. She throughly enjoyed it and almost licked the pattern off.
I am up in my den. Internet is working well and I am watching the Duchess on Netflix.

Suzi
26-12-15, 08:55 PM
Glad Ember had a lovely dinner!

rose
26-12-15, 09:16 PM
Yuck, no wonder you did not want him living with you. That's gross. Urrrggghhhhh.

I hope hubby turns up soon.

(bear)

Pen
27-12-15, 11:33 AM
Hubby arrived at about 8 last night so alls well (I suspect he did make a detour on his way to buy my birthday present)

Been a good birthday so far even though I feel every inch of my half centuary. Ah all down hill from here!!
My kids have been suffering from postal delays, J says he has an awsome present for me but it has not been delivered in time (H says its awsome as well and so I am quite looking forward to getting it eventually!!) H said she was hoping that he present would arrive on time but that also was delayed. However H has bought me a big box of peanut M&M's which is fab!. Hubby being the old romantic has bought me a heater for the studio, I was not expecting anything as he bought me a special vacuum cleaner for cleaning the kiln a month or so ago and told me it was my bday present. (rofl)

Paula
27-12-15, 11:41 AM
Happy birthday! (party)

rose
27-12-15, 11:48 AM
Happy Birthday (bear)

OldMike
27-12-15, 02:55 PM
Happy Birthday Pen http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/mikeyates1000/birthday1_zpsg4dfthmo.gif (http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/mikeyates1000/media/birthday1_zpsg4dfthmo.gif.html)

Suzi
27-12-15, 04:05 PM
So glad you're having a lovely day! Happy birthday!

Pen
29-12-15, 03:38 PM
Welll.... sun has been shining and there has been hardly any wind so hubby no longer had an excuse not to put up the shed. Its going to be tight timewise though as I recon he has less than an hours daylight left now and he still has to finish putting the rood and doors on. It was certainly a two man job as you had to have someone to hold the panels and I suspect I will be needed again yet to fix the roof but I have come in to thaw out!
Poor Ember has not been out today I had planned to take her first thing but then hubby made me a second breakfast, then I went out for coffee with a friend and did the banking. When I got back he desperatly needed help so I have not dared venture far since in case I am needed. We were going to have a go at training her to follow the bike today. There are lots of cycle tracks round here and I though if she would follow the bike I could give her longer runs as well as improving my fitness as well! but I dont think that is going to happen today.(rofl) Once I am over the railway bridge here there are cycle tracks right up to the chemist I use which is about two miles away so I was hoping I could get her to come with me and I cycle up to get my tablets each week.

Paula
29-12-15, 05:12 PM
Hubby tried to do that with our boy greyhound. Except he kept him on the lead and every time Polo felt a pull on the lead, he stopped dead - sending hubby over the handlebars ;)

Pen
29-12-15, 05:37 PM
My old dog Cassie loved the bike. I used to take her to a disused railway line that has been turned into a walk/cycle track and she would happily trot along behind me. She was the sort of dog that was not built for speed but endurance so I used to go miles with her and she could just keep a steady trot going for ever!

Pen
29-12-15, 06:28 PM
Way hey!!! Finally finished the washing up from christmas!! and cleaned the nooks and crannies of the work surfaces and washed the floor and done two loads of washing.
If only the kitchen would stay looking like that!

magie06
29-12-15, 06:38 PM
Wow, can you can your energy, and send it to me. I could do with spending a whole day cleaning, but it's not going to happen any day soon.

OldMike
29-12-15, 07:26 PM
Wow, can you can your energy, and send it to me. I could do with spending a whole day cleaning, but it's not going to happen any day soon.

Me too Magie, I soon run out of energy these days, send me some cans of energy too. :)

Pen I bet your house is as bright and sparkly as a new pin.

Pen
29-12-15, 07:52 PM
Me too Magie, I soon run out of energy these days, send me some cans of energy too. :)

Pen I bet your house is as bright and sparkly as a new pin.

(rofl) Just the kitchen... rest of the house is untidy and covered in dog hair. Proud of myself tonight, not only cooked the dogs dinner but cooked my own as well.

Wow, can you can your energy, and send it to me. I could do with spending a whole day cleaning, but it's not going to happen any day soon.. It was not the whole day just an hour. I have a very small kitchen!!

Suzi
29-12-15, 08:57 PM
(rofl) Paula!

Pen, it sounds like you are doing really awesomely today! What's the shed like?

Pen
29-12-15, 09:06 PM
It was pitch dark when he had finished so I have not yet seen it. However hubby says I will have to push the shed wall a bit to get the door open as the patio it is stood on is not quite level! He wants to put some boards down on the floor before I start filling it up but wont be back till late tomorrow (gone back to his brother again tonight). However I plan to get some stuff in there although he will have to take it back out for the floor.

OldMike
29-12-15, 09:40 PM
Hubby will need some pieces of wood or slate or maybe some plastic or metal shims to level it up, depends how much it is out of level. If the base is not level and the sides not vertical, opening and closing the door could always be a problem.

That's my DIY tip for the day. :)

I'm sure hubby will sort it. (nod)

Seems a shame you got to fill it then empty it again so he can do the floor, sounds like a lot of extra work.

At least it is getting there.

rose
29-12-15, 09:41 PM
Well done, you have every reason to be proud. A clean kitchen and meals made, and a new shed to play with! :)

Pen
30-12-15, 08:20 AM
Mmmmm wind got up last night. Empty plastic shed, not secured to ground.... Thankfully just moved a foot sideways!

Pen
30-12-15, 08:22 AM
I know that I have got everything I have ever dreamed of, that I have a secure future doing things I love. But this morning I just want to stop breathing. I dont know why, nothing is up, I just feel so tired and dead, every little thing seems like a battle, even getting washed and dressed.

Paula
30-12-15, 08:44 AM
(bear) you've been so very busy setting up a new business, all the courses you're running, a new house, building the studio, dealing with the bungalow for M and hubby. Put on top of that prep for the holiday period, I truly think you're exhausted and this in between week, with no courses, means it's probably all caught up with you itms.

Pen
30-12-15, 11:30 AM
45 minutes tiding the studio and I am cream crackered!! Moved a load of heavy tools into the shed to try and stop it walking off.

Suzi
30-12-15, 12:39 PM
Yup, I'm with Paula - you really haven't stopped and rested for such a long time now. It's all going to catch up with you and you'll have to take a proper break..

Pen
30-12-15, 02:07 PM
Well, its wet and cold so I have lit the fire and had a kip and some lunch and will do some drawing.

Paula
30-12-15, 05:19 PM
Well, its wet and cold so I have lit the fire and had a kip and some lunch and will do some drawing.

Sounds perfect :)

Suzi
30-12-15, 07:12 PM
Did you manage to spend your day doing lovely things?

Pen
30-12-15, 07:21 PM
I spent the afternoon watching TV and listening to the radio whilst trying to do some drawing. Feel terrible. Dont know if I will bother with dinner tonight I was picking at cheese and biscuits and sweets for a while this afternoon so not hungry. I have cooked Ember some fish and rice for her tea so she is sorted. I think I will goto bed.

Suzi
30-12-15, 07:40 PM
(panda) I sympathise, feeling vile myself x

Paula
30-12-15, 09:15 PM
Night hunni

Pen
30-12-15, 10:22 PM
(panda) I sympathise, feeling vile myself x

(bear) Hope you feel better soon.

Paula
31-12-15, 09:01 AM
How are you feeling, Pen?

Pen
31-12-15, 09:14 AM
Tired. However I have too much to do and the sun is shining so Hubby is going to come with me on the dog walk and we are going to see how Ember reacts to the bike. Then we are going to B&Q or Wicks or Jewsons to get some boards for the shed and three sets of shelves, then Aldi to get some storage boxes so I can finally sort the christmas decorations out properly for storage.
Then I am going to clear out the first half of the studio, give it a good clean and paint the floor....

Suzi
31-12-15, 09:57 AM
Oh yeah, sounds like resting to me ^) (think)

Pen
31-12-15, 10:53 AM
Oh yeah, sounds like resting to me ^) (think)

(rofl) Oh yes very restful (rofl)
Just come back from the walk. Ember was OK with the bike, only problem was that Hubby was with me so she was torn as to who to be with, but she did run alongside the bike without a problem and was fine walking alongside it as he pushed it over the railway bridge. Only little mishap we had was at the end when I was holding the lead and pushing the bike and came to a puddle. I walked through and she stopped dead and slipped her lead. She hates walking through water!
The exercise did me good, I worked up a slight sweat but I do feel much better for getting out for a while and I am not as nearly saddle sore as I thought I would be considering I don't think I have ridden the bike for four years! I had also forgotten what a lovely ride that bike is. It might get taken out of the shed more often now!

Suzi
31-12-15, 06:12 PM
Sounds like a lovely time!

rose
31-12-15, 06:17 PM
You're inspiring me to get my bike sorted so I can get back on it and get fit again! (All I need now is a dog to take with me!)

Paula
31-12-15, 06:45 PM
Sounds lovely, Pen. And that can count as resting, probably ;)

Pen
31-12-15, 07:09 PM
When I got back with the shopping I did some housework then settled down to watch the Great Gatsby. Hubby went and secured the shed to the ground, however it seems I have lost my shed. Now it is up he wants it back.... He plans to move a load of stuff in this weekend and says that it will be so full I wont even be able to get my fold up bike in there! I wish he had told me that before I bought two sets of shelves and paid for the timber floor!

rose
31-12-15, 07:23 PM
Say no!!!! Its your house, your shed!!! He can get his own shed when he moves!!!!

Pen
31-12-15, 07:51 PM
Well he did pay for it and I always said that he could not store stuff in the Studio but could have a shed instead. He wants to use the shed to store stuff in prior to the move. Maybe once he gets into the new place I will get a shot at getting it back.

Suzi
31-12-15, 09:48 PM
Oh no!

Pen
02-01-16, 08:02 PM
He is not happy now as I have told him he can no longer store all his stuff in the studio. However he is trying to appease me by offering to do some carpentry and make some more surfaces for me.

Feeling very anxious tonight. Yesterday a large filling fell out of a molar. Ever since we moved here we have used the same dentist. When we came he was a one man band in a converted garage, over time he grew and moved into a house with two hyginists on the ground floor and him and another dentist on the first floor. THEN the big boys moved in and two brothers, both dentists have been steadily buying out the smaller guys and shutting them down. Finally my dentist was made an offer he could not refuse and they bought his practise and customer list... He still practises but within the much larger organisation.
Going to the dentist terrifies me anyway but knowing that I have to goto this big place where I have never been before, with ultra modern souless reception has me in bits. I am trying to decide if I can live with this huge hole in my tooth, after all its not causing me any pain...

Suzi
02-01-16, 09:04 PM
Sorry about the filing, I'm the last person to talk to about anything like that though so I'm crap at giving advice..

Paula
02-01-16, 10:38 PM
I can completely understand your fear but, as hubby found out to his cost last week, ignoring these things makes it worse. He ended up with an exposed nerve and now has to go back for a root canal and a crown. Get it sorted before you do more damage, love

rose
02-01-16, 11:38 PM
I agree with Paula. As horrible as going to the Dentist is, it can be a lot more painful if you ignore it.

Pen
04-01-16, 11:07 AM
Well I have made the appointment, Wed at 9, I am in bits about it. I wont be seeing my old dentist, I cant afford him anymore, so its a new centre and a new dentist... AAARRRGGG

rose
04-01-16, 12:03 PM
When you go in, you could be honest about how fearful you are. That might help you to be reassured by the Dentist and relax.

Suzi
04-01-16, 01:10 PM
Be honest about how scared you are lovely.. Good luck.

Paula
04-01-16, 03:59 PM
Is someone going with you?

Pen
04-01-16, 04:14 PM
H said she would come with me.

OMG less than 24 hours till my students come back and the studio is still upside down...

Hubby just has no idea really... He moved the car roof box to the middle of the drive so he could put the shed up. and there it has stayed, in the way of anyone coming through my gate... the main route my customers take to my studio. I said to him this evening "that cannot stay there" To which he said "why not?" AAARRRGGG he said "well I dont know where else to put it" I said "I dont care it cannot stay there!, put it the other side of the garden anywhere you like BUT NOT THERE" he is now in a huff.... He has left several large sheets of board in front of the shelves where customers put there work. I have no idea where I am going to put them but again they cannot stay there... I am very grateful for the work he has done in the studio and he has worked hard cleaning the patio and scrubbing off the algae, but sometimes he is infuriating! We had a ownership issue earlier. Back in Feb he bought a battery powered drill which he said was mine to use. Tonight its HIS drill... although he did eventually back down and agree it was OUR drill.

Paula
04-01-16, 04:19 PM
Oh that sounds like a very familiar type of 'discussion'. I'm glad H is going with you.

Suzi
04-01-16, 07:34 PM
Glad that you have H going with you lovely.. And yes sounds like a similar "debate" that we'd have too ;)

Pen
04-01-16, 10:36 PM
Just finished clearing and sorting the studio.... Pictures on FB and web site shortly.

Suzi
05-01-16, 08:34 AM
Looks amazing!

OldMike
05-01-16, 11:24 AM
Looks so pristine and well organised, go you.

Pen
05-01-16, 03:25 PM
Well is does not so now. I dropped a glass jar of red slip onto the concrete floor. Looks like a chainsaw massacre happened in there!

Angie
05-01-16, 03:29 PM
opps hun. But accidents happen

Paula
05-01-16, 03:30 PM
Oh no!! :(

Pen
05-01-16, 03:49 PM
H is out there cleaning up (rofl). I will have to go and mix up a fresh batch in a minute.

Suzi
05-01-16, 04:30 PM
Oh no!

Pen
06-01-16, 09:50 AM
Drinking lots of sweet tea and eating shortbread... Dentist trip over.

Nice young man, he could have been young enough to be my son! H said she though he looked younger than her!
However I comforted myself that if he was freshly qualified he would know all the modern practises and would do everything by the book.
He was fine. Not sure I was...
Throughout the filling I tried to keep myself calm by trying to remember all the new glazes that arrived yesterday and what they would look like on pottery and what I could make to test them out. It got me through.
Best bit though was finding out that as I was on Tax credits it was all free. Which as he did a check up and x-rays as well would have cost me over £100 with my old dentist. Felt more comfortable booking a 6 month check up knowing I could afford one.

Paula
06-01-16, 09:53 AM
You're awesome! Well done, lovely :)

Pen
06-01-16, 11:24 AM
(rofl) My awesomeness continues! Just taken Ember for her first solo bike ride. I need to fit her with a bell though so I know when she is with me as whenever I turn round in the saddle to look at where she is my hands turn in the other direction and I end up in the hedge/ditch/muddy field. She is getting better in walking nicely with the bike when I am pushing it, but when I am riding it she is still not used to me disappearing so fast and stops to sniff and gets left behind.

Paula
06-01-16, 01:13 PM
Bless her :)

rose
06-01-16, 01:42 PM
Well done on your trip to the dentist and the bike ride! You are sounding more like yourself again which is great. Do you feel any better?

Suzi
06-01-16, 02:03 PM
Aww sounds so lovely!

Pen
06-01-16, 02:43 PM
Well done on your trip to the dentist and the bike ride! You are sounding more like yourself again which is great. Do you feel any better?

Yes a lot better. Being busy at work is helping a lot. I am usually better when I get into a routine.

Pen
06-01-16, 04:57 PM
Christmas has certainly spoiled Ember. She is turning her nose up at dog food. She wants fresh cooked mince and rice (or variations thereof) and would rather go hungry than eat tinned meat. She has also decided that she wants to go out in the car every afternoon for her walk rather than a trot round to the local field. She refuses to have her lead on unless she can get in the car. She has worked out that a car ride ends in interesting walks, possibly on the beach!

OldMike
06-01-16, 05:31 PM
Yes a lot better. Being busy at work is helping a lot. I am usually better when I get into a routine.
Cool glad to hear you are feeling a lot better Pen.

Christmas has certainly spoiled Ember. She is turning her nose up at dog food. She wants fresh cooked mince and rice (or variations thereof) and would rather go hungry than eat tinned meat. She has also decided that she wants to go out in the car every afternoon for her walk rather than a trot round to the local field. She refuses to have her lead on unless she can get in the car. She has worked out that a car ride ends in interesting walks, possibly on the beach!
Poor Ember having to get used to tinned dog food again, I bet she looks at you with pleading eyes saying "please mummy can I have home cooked food not this tinned stuff".

Suzi
06-01-16, 07:26 PM
Lol @ Ember!

Paula
06-01-16, 09:12 PM
(rofl)

Pen
06-01-16, 10:06 PM
I bet she looks at you with pleading eyes saying "please mummy can I have home cooked food not this tinned stuff".

Its more a look of utter disgust... "REALLY? you expect me to eat THIS!"

Pen
07-01-16, 10:06 AM
Uggg. Overslept this morning, feel like (swear)(swear)(swear)(swear)...

At 9:30 Dad rings. He knows that when I have a class not to ring me before it. So he looks at his schedule, sees I have a class scheduled for this morning so rings me up to see if I have a class this morning.... I am sure that makes sense to someone somewhere but it has me baffled. As it happens I have cancelled the class that was on a Thursday morning so he did not get his head bitten off which would have happened if I had been in the last minute rush to prepare for a class.

OldMike
07-01-16, 10:33 AM
Hi Pen your dad was just looking out for you and seeing if you were okay, he was probably wondering if the schedule was right so was just checking.

In life you do get these situations if someone doesn't call you they're ignoring you if the do call they're interfering, such is the complexity of human existence.

Suzi
07-01-16, 11:05 AM
Oh no! Was he OK?

Pen
07-01-16, 02:04 PM
Yes he is fine. He is just lonely I suspect.

Trying get myself calmed down at the moment. Went out to get supplies. Bought a load of clay, bubblewrap and other stuff at the scrapstore, then dropped down to the college as the art supplier was having a sale there. BIG MISTAKE. It was not just that I had planned to buy just one item (£18) but ended up spending £75 it was the whole being back in the college thing, it quite upset me. Not least by my ex ceramics teacher obviously going out of his way to avoid talking to me. I then went onto Asda and did a comfort shop. Spent lots of money I cant really afford on stuff like a new shirt, chocolate peanuts, malt loaf and cheese... lots of cheese...

rose
07-01-16, 03:31 PM
Why would your old ceramics teacher do that, did you not get along?

I have a massive problem with shopping and over spending once I get into shops, so I can sympathise.

Pen
07-01-16, 03:42 PM
Why would your old ceramics teacher do that, did you not get along?

We always got along fine so it hurt today. I dont know why he did that, apart from he told us years ago not to expect to be his friend when we had finished the course, it was a purely professional relationship not a personal one. I also dont know if he is a bit narked that I am successfully running courses in competition with the college. Or maybe I am just reading much more into it than was there and he was just preoccupied with the class he is teaching today to think of anything else.

rose
07-01-16, 03:44 PM
It sounds as if it is more to do with him than you, I wouldn't take it personally.

OldMike
07-01-16, 04:58 PM
We always got along fine so it hurt today. I dont know why he did that, apart from he told us years ago not to expect to be his friend when we had finished the course, it was a purely professional relationship not a personal one. I also dont know if he is a bit narked that I am successfully running courses in competition with the college. Or maybe I am just reading much more into it than was there and he was just preoccupied with the class he is teaching today to think of anything else.

Hi Pen, your old ceramics tutor may have problems of his own, or may have other things on his mind.

I find that depression can easily cause you to misinterpret things, at times it only takes a wrong word about a trivial thing and I can go on a right downer as my mental state can be so volatile.

I don't think he has anything against you, you're probably just misinterpreting things, just my thoughts.

Suzi
07-01-16, 05:18 PM
Sorry it didn't go well with him, but I agree with the others that I'm sure it wasn't meant as a personal snub..
Oh and I overbuy things all the time!

Paula
07-01-16, 05:30 PM
What woman doesn't overbuy? Particularly when upset. Hope you're feeling calmer now (bear)

Pen
07-01-16, 10:00 PM
Yes a bit. Not very happy tonight, had 4 people booked on a class and none of them came... But did spend the evening preparing templates to use with the Stroke Group tomorrow morning.

magie06
07-01-16, 10:07 PM
You are so industrious every day and you get so much done. I think you should put your skills to good use and show us here how you do it?

Suzi
07-01-16, 10:25 PM
Had they paid upfront? I hate it when people say they will do something and don't.

Pen
07-01-16, 10:31 PM
You are so industrious every day and you get so much done. I think you should put your skills to good use and show us here how you do it?

Sometimes its VERY hard. I suspect that my sofa is really a black hole because once I place my butt on it I really struggle to get off! So therefore I try hard not to sit on it in the first place.
I try not to look at a the end point of a goal just the stages. So tonight for example I knew that I wanted to make flower bowls with the group tomorrow and that they would need cardboard templates to cut round. I also knew that I would want a few different types of bowls. If I had thought in advance of everything I would have needed to do in one shot I would have given up and gone to bed! Instead I started by cutting out one petal in paper. This I then cut in clay and tried it in the bowl that will hold the clay in shape whilst we make these. Then I cut another and another till the bowl was full. Then I tweaked the clay shapes till they fitted. Then I recut the paper template from the clay and finally once I was happy cut the template into cardboard. I then did this process all over again with another flower shape and so on till I had three flower bowls to show the people tomorrow. By doing everything in little stages I can get quite productive.
It helps that my mother drummed into me as a kid. "dont kill time, work it to death" but aside from that I also like the saying a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. My psychologist also said to me "dont expect to start by being motivated, motivation comes later. Just start something and keep going"

Back in September my daughter and I went for a walk up in the Mendips and we decided to climb up one of the hills. My daughter is very unfit and she was really struggling to get up to the summit as she kept looking at the top and it seemed such a long way away. So she was ready to quit. Instead I set her little targets... "lets just get to that next bush and catch our breath", "If you can get to that fence post we can stop" and so on and eventually we got to the top, could look back at what we had climbed and admire the amazing view and she was delighted with her achievement. Often my days are like that, just aiming for little steps towards the top, trying not to think too much of how much mountain there is in front of me to climb.

Pen
07-01-16, 10:32 PM
Had they paid upfront? I hate it when people say they will do something and don't.

Nope. Two of them did make valid excuses but there should have been two new people so dont know what happened to them!

Paula
07-01-16, 11:40 PM
Have you thought about taking deposits?

Suzi
08-01-16, 08:19 AM
I agree, deposits might hep?

OldMike
08-01-16, 08:49 AM
Have you thought about taking deposits?

Paula must've been reading my mind I was thinking of your students making a deposit which they would lose if they didn't give you sufficient notice that they couldn't attend a class.

Pen
08-01-16, 08:52 AM
Not for these. Generally these are people who will come every week, its more like a club than a college class so if the dont come I dont make them pay and to be fair most of the people who come to these classes have a guniune reason if they miss a session, like they are ill, or a relative is ill, they enjoy it too much to just not come. However when I feel someone is taking the (swear)(swear)(swear)(swear) and holding a place but continually not coming I warn them then bump them off. I generally don't have much trouble filling spaces (rofl)

Pen
08-01-16, 12:28 PM
Stroke group this morning went well with the flower bowl making. I hit a level that they could all manage and as I had templates for three levels of complexity there was something for all disabilities. The simplest one to make was a poppy and I knew that would be popular with the men as they did not feel they were being patronised by making a simple flower and it was. I think they all enjoyed it. Now I have to come up with something for them to make in two weeks time! At least one of them can only use one hand so I will have to think carefully about what to do. On another good note the group has been given a lump sum of money to spend on specialist art materials so the coordinator has said that the group will buy a hand controller for the wheel I am planning to get shortly so that they can have a go on the wheel. (Boy that is going to be hilarious and VERY messy!).

OldMike
08-01-16, 12:38 PM
Hi Pen sounds like great therapy for people who have had strokes, I can only marvel at how you've organized it to to cover a range of disabilities, you should be justly proud of what you've done today.

Haha playing with clay sounds real messy but a great deal of fun and you finish up with something useful and/or artistic in the end (we hope :) ).

Suzi
08-01-16, 02:30 PM
Pen that's brilliant about the stroke group. I bet that the group organisers are so grateful to you. So many places just say no or come up with stupid reasons why it's not a good idea. I think it's awesome that you are going to so much trouble.

Paula
08-01-16, 09:20 PM
The hand control sounds fab! So the mission is to come up with someone to rival flowers? Hmmm *brain whirrs ;)

Pen
09-01-16, 04:48 PM
Phew... made it to the end of the week. All courses done. Takings are not as good as I would have liked this week but I think that things will pick up next.

OldMike
09-01-16, 05:58 PM
Phew... made it to the end of the week. All courses done. Takings are not as good as I would have liked this week but I think that things will pick up next.

Pen those flower bowls made by the stroke group looked really good (saw them on Facebook). First week after the New Year things are bound to be a bit slow, hopefully things should liven up in the coming weeks.

Suzi
09-01-16, 07:03 PM
I thought the bowls were beautiful too! You should be proud of helping people to make something that really is beautiful!

Pen
09-01-16, 09:14 PM
Thank you.

Hubby is in danger of being sent home early at the moment. I know that he is finding this upheaval hard but I wish he would stop taking it out on me. It is bad enough listening to his moaning generally about everything (weathers too wet, customers too difficult, trimming wisteria is a nightmare, sheds leaking) without him starting grumbling about me.

rose
09-01-16, 09:19 PM
What have you supposedly done to annoy him?
(Wisteria IS hard to trim!!)

Suzi
09-01-16, 09:41 PM
Do you know why he's struggling so much?

Pen
09-01-16, 09:51 PM
What have you supposedly done to annoy him?
(Wisteria IS hard to trim!!)

Yes I know it is, especially in the pouring rain in January. I have too much stuff according to him and it is getting in his way when he is in my studio...

Pen
09-01-16, 10:27 PM
The worst of it was that there was nothing I could say that was right. I asked him if he would like the bench that is against the back wall as he asked the other day about having it for his shed. I said that he could have it and I would put shelves up there instead, but that became a tirade about how you could not get into that corner because I had so much stuff there. (I don't actually the only thing in the way at the moment is the two duvets I keep for the guide dogs to lie on when they visit). He then started complaining about how he would like to chuck the new shed in the tip as he feels the walls are too thin to lean tools against so I offered him the shelves I had bought to go in there when I thought I would be able to use the shed, but no that was not right either. Then he started complaining that there was too much stuff everywhere, and nothing would fit in anywhere. I asked if he meant his stuff but no he meant mine, what he actually was complaining about was the stuff that is in the upstairs studio, but most of that is boxes waiting for H to finish packing up the xmas decorations and then it will go back into the attic. Then he starts complaining that the garage he is using over in our old village still has a load of stuff in it from the move last year and starts having a go at me because J still has his BMX bike there and has not done anything about selling it. I have to say at that point I nearly sounded like my mother and yelled that I could not do anything right!!! but I held my tongue and went and printed some stuff off. He went to sleep for a while and when he woke he was in a little better mood thankfully.

Pen
09-01-16, 10:27 PM
Do you know why he's struggling so much?

Just the house move and everything about it.

rose
09-01-16, 10:33 PM
I have too much stuff according to him and it is getting in his way when he is in my studio...
YOUR studio. YOUR house.
You don't go round to his house and have a go at him about it, do you? So then he shouldn't do it to you.
I can see why you considered sending him home early!!!

Pen
09-01-16, 10:36 PM
YOUR studio. YOUR house.
You don't go round to his house and have a go at him about it, do you? So then he shouldn't do it to you.
I can see why you considered sending him home early!!!

Exactly. We have been married 24 years and been together 31 if he has not realised that I am untidy by now there is no hope!(think)

Pen
10-01-16, 09:34 AM
Mike, I cant put my stuff in his shed, after all he did buy it. Just cause its on my land does not mean I can use it. I also said before we moved that he would not be able to use the garage (as it was then) and he said that was ok if he could put up a shed. Unfortunately this shed is proving to be a nightmare all round. The doors wont stay shut. Came down this morning to find them flapping open again, even though they were securely locked last night.

Pen
10-01-16, 09:35 AM
Having a Sunday morning crash ;(

OldMike
10-01-16, 09:47 AM

Awwwww hugs (bear) (panda) hope you start to feel better as the day progresses.

Take care Mike

Suzi
10-01-16, 11:02 AM
Oh no! Can you do something to turn things around a bit lovely?

Paula
10-01-16, 11:20 AM
(bear) how's hubby?

Pen
10-01-16, 12:07 PM
(bear) how's hubby?

Don't know. He took himself off to the car boot at 8 this morning and I have not seen him since.

rose
10-01-16, 01:00 PM

Do you think this might be because you don't have any classes today?

Pen
10-01-16, 02:12 PM
Do you think this might be because you don't have any classes today?

No, I still have plenty to do, glazes to mix, kiln to repair, slips to make up, stuff to make for valentines day. But my head feels like it is full of cotton wool and I just cant get the energy going.

Suzi
10-01-16, 03:43 PM
Don't you normally go to the car boot with him?

How are you feeling now? Any brighter?

Pen
10-01-16, 04:05 PM
No for the last couple of months he has been going without me. The car boot is much smaller in the winter and not so much fun so he has left me in bed whilst he slips off.

No still not good. I have been in bed since 2:30 trying to get warm. I just feel so cold through to my bones. I figured that there was no point in tying to do anything when wading through custard and maybe a nap would help make me feel a bit more with it and maybe warmer but I dont feel any better.

Paula
10-01-16, 04:08 PM
Have you checked your temperature?

Pen
10-01-16, 04:17 PM
No but I dont feel feverish or ill in any other way just very tired and cold. I would really like another hot coffee but the thought of getting my feet out from under the duvet is not good. However I may have to shortly as the last coffee I had a few hours ago would like to escape...

For my birthday H bought me a dragon hot water bottle. She filled it up for me a while ago. Of course Ember thought she was bringing her a new soft toy to disembowel so I had to hide it under the cover quick.

Suzi
10-01-16, 04:24 PM
Could it be because you "just" need to rest?

Pen
10-01-16, 04:47 PM
Just taken my temperature and it is 35.4 degrees, so you can safely say I am not running a fever!

It probably is just that I need to rest.

Paula
10-01-16, 04:57 PM
Glad you've erm realised that (and yes I know, I'm just as bad;))

Pen
10-01-16, 05:57 PM
I persuaded A to take Ember out. I asked him to take her round the block, I dont know where he took her but she came back coated in mud and very excited. She climbed all over my bed and now I have a VERY muddy bed. I am too tired to change it so will sleep in it tonight and hopefully feel strong enough tomorrow to change it.

rose
10-01-16, 06:02 PM
There is so much mud out there, its almost impossible to avoid it now.
I have days where I just can't get warm and end up in bed with a hot water bottle, shivering.
I hope you feel better soon.

Paula
10-01-16, 06:03 PM
Joy. ^)

Pen
10-01-16, 08:05 PM
She wont let me clean her up. I have managed to get some of the mud off her body and head but if I try and clean her legs she gets shirty with me so I will have to let it dry and drop off...

H cooked me some dinner so I got up and hubby lit the fire but really I just want to go back to bed I feel so tired. Thankfully I do feel a little warmer now although a bit sick after dinner.

Suzi
10-01-16, 09:04 PM
We can't go anywhere without Casey being covered in mud - add 3 children and a husband to that and my house is covered in mud at the moment!

I really hope you feel better tomorrow lovely..

Pen
11-01-16, 09:13 AM
Feeling a bit better this morning.
Finally managed to order my new potters wheel so really looking forward to getting it.
Written a letter to hubby's solicitor about the house he is buying. The solicitor has let us know that there is quite a restrictive covenant on the property. It seems that he cannot cut the trees, run a business or keep a caravan out the front of the property, but the bit that made us smile is that he is not allowed to keep pigs! We think that when the land was sold the previous owner was terrified that the land would be used to make the neighbours lives miserable... Mind you not sure how they got round the cutting tree bit when they cleared the land and built a bungalow on it!

Paula
11-01-16, 09:34 AM
(rofl)

Suzi
11-01-16, 10:09 AM
(rofl)(rofl)

Pen
11-01-16, 04:12 PM
Phew I must be feeling better so far today I have:-
Driven Ember to the big park and walked her
Driven H to and from a job interview
Paid in last weeks takings and bought H and me lunch
filled up the car
Bought a potters wheel
Written to a solicitor
Batt washed a kiln shelf
Made 6 sets of valentines hearts (4 hearts in each set) out of Terracotta
Reconstituted some local clay I processed back in the summer
Made 2 sets of hearts out of said local clay.

Now having a quick drink and a pack of crisps before Ember and I head out for her evening walkies. On my return the kiln should be cool enough to unload.

OldMike
11-01-16, 04:48 PM
Feeling a bit better this morning.
Finally managed to order my new potters wheel so really looking forward to getting it.
Written a letter to hubby's solicitor about the house he is buying. The solicitor has let us know that there is quite a restrictive covenant on the property. It seems that he cannot cut the trees, run a business or keep a caravan out the front of the property, but the bit that made us smile is that he is not allowed to keep pigs! We think that when the land was sold the previous owner was terrified that the land would be used to make the neighbours lives miserable... Mind you not sure how they got round the cutting tree bit when they cleared the land and built a bungalow on it!

There's a tree preservation order in force on the trees in my garden so you need written permission before you do any pruning.
Mind you it didn't stop the council sending men in who climbed over the back fence and cut some of my trees down. When I got in touch with the council they gave the lame excuse they thought it was council land. I said don't you check the plans it clearly shows it's my garden up to the fence. She said we just assumed it was council land we made a mistake sorry. what a total useless lot my council is too bone idle to do their jobs properly. And it took me months to get them clear away the trees and branches they cut down that just shows how useless my council is.

After that rant best calm down.

Pen you've certainly been very busy today as they say "a ceramic artist's work is never done" 10 out of 10 for effort.

Suzi
11-01-16, 05:43 PM
Wow! You've been so busy! So glad you're feeling brighter.

Paula
11-01-16, 09:49 PM
Soooo pleased today's a better day :)

Pen
12-01-16, 09:58 AM
Woke this morning to find the boiler was off. AARRRGG hate combi boilers. Thankfully I know how to fix it so its running again but when I asked H if she had not noticed there was no hot water and the house was cold she just said "well it always feels cold in the morning..."

Feeling like (swear)(swear)(swear)(swear) again at the moment, not helped by a post on FB that has triggered me.

OldMike
12-01-16, 10:10 AM
Eeeps I hope it wasn't my post about your new potter's wheel (though I can't think why).

I hate combi boilers too the heating side is ok but the water is rubbish, icy cold, scalding hot changing rapidly from scalding hot to icy cold and vise versa never know what you are getting.

Paula
12-01-16, 10:43 AM
Whatever it was, ignore it. Hope your day gets better (bear)

Pen
12-01-16, 11:33 AM
Dont worry Mike it was not you.

Suzi
12-01-16, 01:57 PM
How are you doing now hunni?

Pen
12-01-16, 03:38 PM
Much better thanks.
Running the class for two hours helped as they pretty much all knew what they were doing and just needed me to keep an eye on them and jump in if something was likely to go wrong.

Suzi
12-01-16, 08:14 PM
Good!

Pen
14-01-16, 09:38 AM
OMG, just as if I did not have enough to fit into my days I now have extra stuff to work on and learn!

I decided to teach my two art groups on a Wednesday oil painting. This is a slow step by step course that we are going to do and I am teaching them by demonstrating on my own painting. Now I took the afternoon group and started a painting of a bridge, showing them creating a base coat, composition, marking up and the first steps of the painting process... Then at the end of the session I realised that I would need to do that all over again with the second group SO I would need to start a new painting all over again... SO whilst my two groups work through the process over the coming weeks I have to paint TWO paintings alongside them, BUT of course I cant dedicate myself to just my painting whilst they are working so I will need to finish off each stage on each painting outside the classes ready to demonstrate the next stage. So I have two paintings to work on today. Plus my wheel arrived this morning and I will need to master at least the basics to be able to demonstrate on it ASAP and from my memories of last time I used one that is going to be a time consuming process!!

OldMike
14-01-16, 10:16 AM
Looks like there isn't enough hours in the day for you Pen.

Your new wheel will be fun, I'll bet it'll be like a kid playing with a new toy. ;)

Suzi
14-01-16, 11:11 AM
Sounds like fun in your studio!

Pen
14-01-16, 11:24 AM
Yes its great that the biggest stress I have in my life today is to finish two paintings and learn to use a potters wheel (rofl)

Pen
14-01-16, 12:55 PM
Right... after an hour on the wheel remembered why I do handbuilding!

magie06
14-01-16, 01:26 PM
Good luck with the wheel Pen. I can understand how difficult it must be to master a new craft without instructions.

Suzi
14-01-16, 02:40 PM
Is it a problem of not being in practise or needing instructions?

Paula
14-01-16, 02:44 PM
Pen, is there anything you can't do? Btw I'm missing my nativity group :(

Pen
14-01-16, 03:50 PM
Unfortunatly using the wheel is like learning to swim. You can read all the books, watch all the videos even have one to one instruction but the only way you can learn to do it is by rolling up your sleeves and getting stuck in.
Its all about learning how much pressure to apply and when, and also when to stop before disaster strikes! Its also about building muscles in the right places to be able to deal with fighting lumps of clay.
I managed to throw 3 very small pots today when is a huge improvement on what I have ever done before so its a start. I'm thinking if I can manage to get 2-3 hours practise in every day I will get better. Maybe by the time I am 90 I will have got the hang of it!

Pictures are up on FB and shortly the website.

Pen
14-01-16, 03:55 PM
Pen, is there anything you can't do? Btw I'm missing my nativity group :(

I will have to see if I can make something else that you love enough to take its place (rofl)

Pen
16-01-16, 04:20 PM
SOOOO tired tonight, been another tough week workwise. Three classes today but the numbers were pretty poor, need to boost my advertising!
Spent so much time on the wheel I have a "wheel burn" where the friction has taken the skin off. All my own fault, its a technique thing that I need to sort out. I have however managed to make a few larger things but centreing the clay is still causing problems. I have watched loads of videos on it which make it look so easy but when you are fighting the clay on the wheel it is not so simple. Really annoyed that my tutor at college was never really interested in teaching us to throw properly.

Suzi
16-01-16, 07:21 PM
I think that throwing looks impossible! Make sure that you are taking care of your injury!

OldMike
16-01-16, 08:54 PM
Throwing pots reminds of one of the games they had on the Generation Game where some of the participants made a real mess of it.

Wheel burn now that's something I'd never have thought of with all that water and wet clay flying around.

I think getting it centred could be a problem and like you say just using the right pressure is essential.

I'm sure you'll master the technique Pen.

Pen
17-01-16, 08:35 PM
Finally got sorted out the christmas decorations and got then packed back in the attic. H and I went through them and got rid of some decorations that I remember Mum putting up when I was kid! I am sure that tinsel is not supposed to have bald patches! How is it that as soon as you have the decs in the attic and the door shut that you find one last decoration that you have missed...
Having done that I then tidied up and cleaned my sanctuary upstairs in the studio. So now it is again a nice place to retreat to. I then set to and finished the current stage of my two oil paintings ready to demo the next stage on Wednesday. Desperately need to get some more oil paints before Wednesday as I have a VERY limited selection so will drop into The Range when I go to do the banking tomorrow.
Now to start the housework.... I have two loads of washing which I did during the day that I need to spread out to dry plus at least two more loads to do. The kitchen is a mess, the toilet needs cleaning, the downstairs floor needs washing and my bedroom needs vacuuming. Maybe a late night tonight!

OldMike
17-01-16, 08:43 PM
Four loads of washing in one day wow that's some going. http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb333/mikeyates1000/washing_zpsrjk9byus.gif (http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/mikeyates1000/media/washing_zpsrjk9byus.gif.html)

Loved the pictures you put up on Facebook, especially the line drawing of the man making a big pot and the woman getting showered with lumps of clay. (rofl)

Pen
18-01-16, 10:13 AM
Not good again. Appetite has gone, just feel sick if I eat. Could not finish a meal yesterday although have managed a bowl of cereal this morning but regretting it at the moment. Had a bad night, could not get to sleep then woke in the night and could not get back off for ages and then when I did I had a nightmare about getting to hubby's uncle's funeral.

OldMike
18-01-16, 10:22 AM
Pen is there a pattern here you seemed really upbeat yesterday, yet today you seem on a real downer, it's like you're feeling bad today to compensate for feeling good yesterday.

Just my thoughts, I may be totally wrong.

Hope things improve as the day progresses, at least you've managed some breakfast that has to be a plus.

Got any classes today or is Monday a free day?

Take care Mike. (bear)

Pen
18-01-16, 10:36 AM
No classes today. Just need to do the banking, buy some paint, walk the dog, mix up some glazes, glaze some test tiles, finish painting my latest yarn bowl, sort out a firing, mix some slips, finish the valentines hearts, spend an hour on the wheel trimming the pots I made last week, improve my throwing skills and start making the Easter crosses (was thinking something like this but with a celtic knot although made the mistake of searching for ceramic crosses on pinterest and now have loads of other ideas as well! http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/penny_price1/Ceramic%20Cross%20with%20Glass_zpspn9n3yfi.jpg).

No I dont think I feel bad today to make up for feeling good yesterday. I did not feel too good yesterday, it was only by keeping really busy could I get through the day. Otherwise I would have spent it lying in bed planning how to kill myself.

Pen
18-01-16, 10:40 AM
I just feel so useless. On one hand I so wish I had someone who would look after me. Is that selfish? on the other I just wish that I could just die and not be in anyones life anymore, not have to run around after everyone else. I want to go off and die but I know if I go off then lots of people will waste their time trying to find me.

OldMike
18-01-16, 10:46 AM
That cross looks really cool Pen.

Just reading what you're doing today makes me feel exhausted, I certainly wish I had your talent and work ethic.

OldMike
18-01-16, 10:57 AM
I just feel so useless. On one hand I so wish I had someone who would look after me. Is that selfish? on the other I just wish that I could just die and not be in anyones life anymore, not have to run around after everyone else. I want to go off and die but I know if I go off then lots of people will waste their time trying to find me.

You go out of your way to help people, you've done classes for people who've had strokes, run classes for children, that makes you a very caring person your are NOT useless in any sense of the word.

It's a pity you can't see yourself as others see you, in the very short time I've known you I see a person who gives so much and now with your studio up and running you're enhancing so many peoples lives.

Suzi
18-01-16, 11:54 AM
I think that Mike is right - you are a wonderful person and I'm glad we've met.
Can you call your Dr and tell them how you are feeling?
I also agree with Mike, it does seem that there is a bit of a pattern occurring - maybe it's worth looking back through your posts and seeing if you can see any correlation - hormones? Every Monday? Etc?

Pen
18-01-16, 01:55 PM
I think that Mike is right - you are a wonderful person and I'm glad we've met.
If you really knew me you would know that I am not.

Can you call your Dr and tell them how you are feeling? No

I also agree with Mike, it does seem that there is a bit of a pattern occurring - maybe it's worth looking back through your posts and seeing if you can see any correlation - hormones? Every Monday? Etc?
Its just exhaustion I expect. After walking Ember on the beach, doing the banking and buying £170 of art materials Ember and I have retreated back to bed with "honey" my dragon hot water bottle.

Paula
18-01-16, 02:13 PM
But I think those of us who have seen you come through the very worst days, through to today, where you've achieved so much, do know you. I suspect you're more honest here than with most other people, I know I am. You've pulled yourself up and away from that pit, finished your degree, set up a successful business, supported your kids, found your hubby and brother in law a new home. You do so much, and I am in awe of you.

But I agree - you push yourself so much and I've noticed that, when you're particularly tired, your mood drops. I don't think you know the concept, but I really think you need to pace a lot better, or get support from your family. You're not superwoman and you're doing more in one day than I do in a week!

Suzi
18-01-16, 02:31 PM
I'd like to think that I knew you. I know that those who have been here for a while know me - the true me, the one who isn't putting on a front and just smiling my way through it..

rose
18-01-16, 04:06 PM
Paula said it so well.

And, no, it's not selfish to want someone to take care of you.

(panda) I hope your bad thoughts pass soon (bear)

Pen
18-01-16, 07:23 PM
But I think those of us who have seen you come through the very worst days, through to today, where you've achieved so much, do know you. I suspect you're more honest here than with most other people, I know I am. You've pulled yourself up and away from that pit, finished your degree, set up a successful business, supported your kids, found your hubby and brother in law a new home. You do so much, and I am in awe of you.

But I agree - you push yourself so much and I've noticed that, when you're particularly tired, your mood drops. I don't think you know the concept, but I really think you need to pace a lot better, or get support from your family. You're not superwoman and you're doing more in one day than I do in a week!

Yes it is true that I tell you guys things I would not tell anyone else. But I have always found that apart from one friend everyone else soon does not want to be around me when they know me better. Maybe its because I scare them or they are jealous of me? I dont know.
I know I do too much but I just cant sit and do nothing. Even watching the TV I need to be researching or drawing or doing the accounts or something... and there is just SO much that needs to be done!

Suzi
18-01-16, 07:54 PM
But maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe you need to find a way to switch off and do nothing even for a little bit?

Paula
18-01-16, 08:28 PM
Is there another hobby you have or something you'd like to try that you could do to keep yourself occupied but not with work stuff?

Pen
18-01-16, 08:47 PM
The only other hobby I have is gardening.. Art is my life. I draw as a hobby, I don't really consider that as work as I would not dream of selling my drawings.

Pen
19-01-16, 03:49 PM
Bit better today. Had a migraine during the last class though. Second one in 4 days. Now chillin out in the upstairs studio with the dog a packet of Pringles and Father Brown on Netflix

OldMike
19-01-16, 03:54 PM
Bit better today. Had a migraine during the last class though. Second one in 4 days. Now chillin out in the upstairs studio with the dog a packet of Pringles and Father Brown on Netflix

Glad you're feeling a little better today Pen.

I love Father Brown I like the nice gentle story line. Pringles sound good (yet another thing I can't have with having high blood pressure, too much salt so doctor has banned me from eating them).

OldMike
19-01-16, 03:57 PM
The only other hobby I have is gardening.. Art is my life. I draw as a hobby, I don't really consider that as work as I would not dream of selling my drawings.

From your drawings could you make prints and sell the prints yet keep the originals, just a thought.

Pen
19-01-16, 04:10 PM
Its not that I want to keep the originals I just dont think they are good enough that anyone would want to by them. (rofl)

Paula
19-01-16, 04:48 PM
Your Christmas cards are :)

Has the migraine passed?

Pen
19-01-16, 06:08 PM
Yes I had a tricky 10 minutes at the end of class where I could not see properly but I dont think they noticed. I just feel tired and drained now. Cant face any food. H was going to cook a stir fry but I cant think of food without feeling sick. She tried to persuade me to eat various things but I cant even consider beans on toast at the moment.

OldMike
19-01-16, 06:54 PM
Its not that I want to keep the originals I just dont think they are good enough that anyone would want to by them. (rofl)

Don't be so modest Pen, as Paula says you made some good Christmas cards, I'll wager your drawings are good too. (nod)

Suzi
19-01-16, 07:32 PM
Hope that you do manage to eat something lovely.. and that the nasty migraines bugger off!

Pen
19-01-16, 10:24 PM
Just come in from work. Only thing I can face eating is a bowl of porridge...

Suzi
20-01-16, 07:50 AM
Porridge isn't the worst thing you could eat lovely.. How are you today hunni?

Paula
20-01-16, 07:58 AM
Are you feeling any better?

Pen
20-01-16, 09:58 AM
No not really. Had a terrible nights sleep. Could not get off till 1:30 then woke at 4:30 and took ages to get off again. Managed to eat a bowl of cereal but feel sick again. Came down in the night and managed to catch my little toe on the bannisters, dont think I have broken it but it is really sore this morning.

Paula
20-01-16, 10:18 AM
Ouch!

rose
20-01-16, 10:24 AM
Sorry if this was asked before - Is this likely to be hormone related?

Pen
20-01-16, 10:53 AM
Sorry if this was asked before - Is this likely to be hormone related?

No dont think so.

Suzi
20-01-16, 11:41 AM
Ouch! Your poor toe!
Have you managed to eat this morning?

Pen
20-01-16, 11:46 AM
Ouch! Your poor toe!
Have you managed to eat this morning?

Sort of. I have had a bowl of cereal and a quarter of a mini quiche. I have a class at 12:30 so thought I aught to have something to keep me going and hopefully stave off another migraine.

Suzi
20-01-16, 11:52 AM
Glad you've eaten something. Hope that you get left alone by the migraines... Hope the class is an easy one..

Pen
20-01-16, 12:02 PM
Not sure it will be easy... oil painting stage 3.....

Paula
20-01-16, 01:11 PM
Hope it's going ok

Pen
20-01-16, 03:43 PM
It was slow going with the afternoon group but I think I have got them all onto the next stage with a bit of encouragement and cajoling. Tonights group work much faster and are a more advanced bunch so will need to be on my toes!

Suzi
20-01-16, 06:35 PM
Well done for getting through it. Hope tonight is fun!

Pen
20-01-16, 09:30 PM
This evenings group are coming on in leaps and bounds although I have one student who listens to what I say then does her own thing. I kept telling the group DO NOT get bogged down in details yet, get the colour blocks in first, so what do I find when I go and have a look at her work? she is carefully (with the smallest brush in existence) painting in the bluebells in her picture so I have to point out that she will have to wipe them all off as she will need to paint the green background foliage first... sigh...

Pen
20-01-16, 10:23 PM
Have updated my facebook and website blog with some pictures from this evening.

OldMike
21-01-16, 12:09 AM
This evenings group are coming on in leaps and bounds although I have one student who listens to what I say then does her own thing. I kept telling the group DO NOT get bogged down in details yet, get the colour blocks in first, so what do I find when I go and have a look at her work? she is carefully (with the smallest brush in existence) painting in the bluebells in her picture so I have to point out that she will have to wipe them all off as she will need to paint the green background foliage first... sigh...

I suppose Pen there will always be someone who appears to listen intently then goes their own way and does their own thing. I can sense the exasperation in your post, just sigh and move on or burst out laughing whatever floats your boat.

The Facebook photos of the two paintings you are doing one for each of your two groups look good and your studio looks a hive of activity in the other photo.

Pen
21-01-16, 12:45 AM
Oh I dont let it get to me, I have been teaching for too long for that!

Suzi
21-01-16, 11:40 AM
Those paintings are beautiful!

Pen
21-01-16, 03:14 PM
No they are not, they are just sketches to show people about perspective, composition and stages of oil painting. When they are finished I will probably throw them in the tip.

Pen
21-01-16, 03:15 PM
Took the dog out with my friend and the heavens opened. Came home with my shoes and socks soaked. Now have loads to do but my shoes are hanging over the heater and my feel are tucked under a lovely warm dog. I so dont want to move!!!

Suzi
21-01-16, 04:11 PM
Then you have the perfect reasons not to move!

Pen
22-01-16, 12:01 AM
Only had one course today, no one came to the evening course. I need to sort out the marketing for this. Did manage to get the stuff prepared for the Stroke group tomorrow though do it was not time wasted.

Suzi
22-01-16, 10:50 AM
Isn't that 2 weeks in a row that you haven't had anyone for that course?

Pen
22-01-16, 12:01 PM
No I had one person last week (rofl) (party)
Stroke group is going well, the numbers are growing. If everyone turned up at once I would have 8 people! Good job I have just bought two new tables!

Paula
22-01-16, 12:25 PM
I suppose it's a case of trying different courses and seeing what works - but it's frustrating no one came. Have you consider deposits or you running 6 week courses with payment up front?

Pen
22-01-16, 12:36 PM
No I dont want to do that I find it seems to put people off. I know I will get the numbers up on this eventually. The two classes on a Tuesday are bursting at the seams. One of my Tuesday ladies has just written a glowing review on my FB page. It made me blush...(blush)

OldMike
22-01-16, 01:34 PM
Just read the reviews, brilliant and richly deserved.

Suzi
22-01-16, 05:28 PM
Well deserved!